Thursday, August 20, 2009

It's been a while...

Hey,

It's been a long time since I last updated you on our family. A lot has happened this Summer and I can't wait to tell you all about it.

First things first. Dad is doing really well and is determined to come home. Which, if you will remember, is a huge improvement over the last time I updated. In fact I believe my last update ended with something about a heavy heart because of dad's complete apathy to life. I can safely say that this is no longer the case.

At the end of June I was preparing to go on vacation to Europe- which was AMAZING- and I got a call at work... "Dad's had a stroke and they are taking him to the hospital." I was prepared to cancel everything if this was it for dad... and considering everything that he has been through this year- I thought it was.

Turns out, it was minor. Be prepared if you talk to him anytime soon that there are some minor changes. Like: 1. His mouth muscles are a little off so his mouth doesn't work like it's supposed to. 2. His speech is off too. He makes sense- when you can get him to speak slow enough to concentrate on how he's saying things.

However, this stroke seemed to wake him up. I know it sounds backwards, but when I left for Europe this man barely cared that he woke up everyday. And when I came back he was the one pushing PT. He bragged about taking 5 steps... we told him walk 20 and we'll have you home for dinner. That very week he walked 25 just to prove a point and said that "I'm coming home, what are we having for dinner?"

The funny thing on this one was, I tried to protest and get out of doing it because of the new changes in my life (which I'll get to in a minute) and he said that it was a lousy excuse and that family had to get together to be healthy. And it was time to have everyone together for dinner again. Basically, what I'm excited to report is that dad is coming back.

Not the dad of just before March, but the dad of 5-6 years or more ago. One with spitfire and humor... and a little demanding. All of which leads me to praise God!
He's pushing hard and telling us he's going to be home by Labor Day. To us it seems a little far fetched as he has so far to go- but we are also not telling him no. If he wants to push for that... then so be it.

Mom is doing pretty good, not as tired as she has been. In fact this week we refinished a dresser together... that was a lot of fun. We turned a piece of junk into a beautiful piece of furniture! But it's evidence that she is working through the fatigue and other stuff going on.

Matthew and Ashley have the ability to write their own updates on here, but I'll just fill in the smallest detail- they are both going to be working and going to school this fall. I think that they are trying to be impossible to catch on the phone :) But I am incredibly proud of them and the fact that they are working so hard to become the people that God wants them to be.

Marissa (can also update on here) is kind of like me... so much going on that it's hard to speak on her behalf... so I won't other than to mention that she needs prayer for the decisions she has to make and the fact that she is still working to go full time at Camp Beechpoint and needs only to raise 25% more of her salary in order to do so (this won't bring her to 100% but it will be enough to be working according to camp policy). Please pray that as she follows God's heart that she won't become discouraged but encouraged to see God filling in that gap.

As for me... well life is nuts. I'm sure if you've looked on my facebook account recently you've seen me comment on being tired, stressed, worn out, etc. But the thing is- while all that is true- I'm also very happy. I feel more at peace than I have in years. And it makes absolutely no sense.

This summer has been the definition of crazy busy, but in truth the craziness started in Spring. As I was praying through the vision that God gave me many years ago, I finally felt God giving me permission to proceed with the next step in it. That step was to become a foster mom. So, I took the classes (30 hours of training) in May.

Then Summer started...

It started off with me going to a 3 day concert in northern Michigan with some friends, and it was a fabulous time! Earlier that week though, I got a call from Bethany Christian Services (BCS). Now, for those of you who don't know, the foster care licensing can take up to 9 months here in Michigan- depending. But that week they called me and asked if I'd be willing to take a child that they couldn't place, I could meet him that next Monday and then see. Even though my license wasn't complete- they had ways of making it work.

I have to tell you- this was way ahead of any schedule I had in my head. I thought the earliest I would have a kid in my home would be September. But they were talking of me taking him (we'll call him B) as soon as I got back from vacation. This was slightly overwhelming.

Then I went on a 2+ week vacation to Europe. I have to say that this was a trip like non other I have ever taken. It was relaxing, fun, powerful, life changing (in the way that meeting new friends and seeing incredible things is life changing) and did I mention fantastic?!

As soon as I got back I called BCS and found out that they had someone that could take B for part of the time until my license was complete. Which is good... but would I be willing to take him for the rest of the time? So I said yes.

Something else that was immediate upon my return- a promotion at work. I am now the Marketing Director for my company. And I really like it- but it so far has been a lot more hours than my old position. So, it's proving to be interesting- work crazy long hours during the week and have B on the weekends (at least during the summer- when school starts it looks like I'll have him through the week- until license is complete- then full time)

Now for the icing. I am moving Labor Day Weekend. I will be moving to a 3 bedroom house in Grand Rapids, just like I've been praying for, for years! I'm so excited- nervous and waiting in anticipation.

Life is very crazy- but God is GOOD! These things are all things that I've been praying for and wanting for YEARS and now it seems that God is granting me the desires of my heart. I just find it humorous that He's doing it all at once!

The Smith family has tons going on... we may not all mention it at the same time- but we know that God is working like crazy in our family and we are excited and waiting for more. (I know that this might seem lacking for a closing- but I have to go to my last softball game of the season and I'm excited, if we win- we take 3rd in the league!)

Like I said... life is nuts!

Blessings to you all and may you feel God's presence in your life today!
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment