Friday, April 17, 2009

Rehab

Hey everyone,

Things are different with dad in rehab. Different like: I don't get to see him everyday, and it is more difficult to assess his progress. So I haven't updated in a while because- well I'm not sure what to say.

He's talking more clearly and I think he understands the need to work hard to be able to leave the nursing home. In fact yesterday he worked so hard at Physical Therapy (from here on to be called PT) that he collapsed and was really weak the rest of the day. He did however stand up for the first time on Wednesday! And then on Friday he was very proud to announce that he stood up 3 times!!

Progress is being made, they moved him from the nursing home side to the rehab side and he seems to be thriving there. He's calling me out of the blue- just to say hi. He's making promises of trying hard, and understands the goals to be able to go home.

Tomorrow (4/22) marks 6 weeks that he's been in the hospital/ recovering. We are all weary of the journey. But you know, after all that we've been through, the tears, the fear, and the agony of waiting through it all- I wouldn't trade it for the world.

I've learned a few things, and I hope the lessons stick. What did I learn? Well, I've learned that the only thing worth holding onto is Jesus. You would think that an elementary lesson, but after this- the things of this world are stupid and family and Jesus are so much more important. I've learned that feeling emotions through tragedy is important. Again, elementary- but let's just say I'm behind on a few things. I've also learned that prayer is more foundational than anything I could ever express.

God's been teaching me that last one for a couple of years- but this was so powerful at times I was literally pushed to my knees in prayer and in awe at what God has/ and is doing for my family. Prayer is not just a trite part of a relationship with God, a checklist item, but a moving and powerful experience. To be welcomed into the throne room of the Most High God and falling at his feet in worship and to be allowed to have a conversation with Him- and He listens to you... this is cause for the world to stop and take notice! Power, peace, joy, hope and healing are found there and to think about it is overwhelming. I am so blessed to be allowed to participate in something so wonderful!

Yes, this is and has been a real time of trial, but a time of so much more than that too.

Rehab is harder to identify and much harder for updates, but I am grateful for it. I'm grateful to say that my dad is doing better, that he's trying to recover and hopefully this leg of the journey will be over soon.

Many blessings to you all,
Megan

No comments:

Post a Comment