Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Dad's recent Update (and some history)

This month has been an interesting one for all of us. As Dad (aka Mike) has been struggling with bigger health issues than any of us know what to do with. If you haven't read/ seen the story, I've attached it below- it goes through today. Thanks for praying and journeying with us. We love you all for it!

Blessed and broken am I,
Megan

Friday: March 13, 2009
My mind is tired and my body sore from hours of sitting and talking and thinking and praying about my dad.
Wednesday night, I got a call from my mom. Not a “Hey, how’s it going” kinda call, but a call where she’s practically screaming, while balling her eyes out, saying “I’m at the end of my rope. I’m physically exhausted, my mind is overwhelmed, I have no idea whether or not to take your father to the hospital, please if you are able, can you come and help me. Help me know if I should take him in against his will.”
I brought my dog along because he loves that stupid little mutt, and I decided that at least it would be a simple way to see my parents for the week. When we got there dad got excited (Mom said for the first time that day.) he wanted to get dressed to come out and see me and Gauge. So she went and got him some pants and some other things to get dressed. A few minutes later she came back in to talk with me as we waited for him to come out.

We heard a thump… and not a little one… we called out and said are you ok? Did you fall? Do you need help? “I’m fine, I didn’t fall”

5 minutes or so later when he hadn’t come out yet, mom went to check on him… he was in a pretzel shape on the floor caught between the bed and the wall. She didn’t tell me the position but to call Matthew and have him come and help dad up- he might have a broken leg.
After I called Matt, I went in to see (because mom had to cover him up before I could come in) and I saw what position he was in… he was so helpless looking that I almost cried out in fear for him… instead I made a judgement call that I can only call the Spirit. I called 911.

The first to arrive were two firemen- and I only know the name Mike because, well the obvious reason… Mike helped my dad Mike. They went right in and saw that Matthew and a couple young interns had already moved the bed and all the other stuff in the way and found dad barely able to breathe on the floor. They went to work right away finding a way for the bed support system to be cut so that they could get to dad easier and so that dad wouldn’t have a 2 x 4 stuck in his ribs.

It took about 12 men and women and my brother to figure out how to get him out safely, and then out the door... well, window. He didn't want to go to the hospital, but we all overrode that thought.

It was surreal to sit in the ER and hear the doctors say "He's had a heart attack". My dad who has had many other problems has never in his life had heart issues. I've since come to the conclusion that the fall may have saved his life.

Where things sit right now is this:
1. The heart attack did a LOT of damage to the left ventricle. They will have to do surgery, but...
2. Complete Renal Failure, Liver looks aweful- doctors said it looks like he's been an alcoholic for his entire life- when in reality, he's never touched it.. and his Kidneys are shot. He will more than likely start Dialysis this afternoon.
3. Infection. He has Cellulitis (sp?) traveling in his legs- although that's the only thing that looks as if it's improving.

The thing is... any one of these 3 things has the ability to kill any normal man. But my dad, by the miracle of our Heavenly Father's hands has survived thus far. Although all the doctors are not talking very positively.

We all know that our daddy is not on his own... and neither are we... Our Heavenly Daddy is looking out for us. We know you are praying, because we all are experiencing the "Peace that surpasses all understanding." His Spirit is ministering to our hearts and we rest securely there.

However, the doctors understand the severity of the situation and are constantly trying to make us understand. Although if you just look at dad you know... from their words things look really grim.

Prayer, prayer and prayer is really needed, welcomed and implored. My father G. Michael Smith is fighting for his life. Please pray with us that God will allow him to win.

I thank you for your friendship, for your prayers and for the fact that I can write this and know that you are responding even as I write.

I am blessed and am broken,
Megan


Saturday: March 14, 2009

Hey everyone,

Up until yesterday afternoon all of us were sitting here in the waiting room anticipating the worst. When we talked to the Kidney doctor and she told us that dialysis was going to make a big difference in our dad... we looked at her like she was talking a foreign language. We have had no prior experience with dialysis and we were scared because we thought that once you started you were on it for life.

Well, we gave them permission to start it and then waited some more.

Last night after it was done and everyone left I went in to say goodbye... I'd been here for a LOOONNNGGG time and needed to go home and rest. (It had been days since I'd really slept) As I was saying goodbye he gave me attitude... it was the first time in a long time since I'd received that from him. I went out and told the family and they all went in to talk to him... and he got upset when he realized we'd been here so long.

This is a marked sign of improvement... although it's so far from being done. There is still a big heart problem, and kidney problems, but the overall outlook is more positive than we've known yet this far.

Thank you for praying. The feeling of peace and the amount of normal is incredible in the waiting room.

We will keep you updated as we know more.

Thank you for blessing us with your prayers and concern,
Megan


Sunday: March 15, 2009

For days there really hasn't been much to update, but after last night- an update is due.

My greeting to the hospital yesterday was "You have to go see him, it's amazing!" I looked at my mom and she confirmed- "He is totally different" So I went in to see my dad, and greeted him by his least favorite greeting "Hey Pops" and he responded with rolled eyes and a "Hey Sweetheart".

His eyes are clear and his words made sense. He even laughed at other people and their conversations. He bragged about his "skinny feet" (The infection is going away and the water pill they have him on is taking away the swelling that has been there for months!). He smiled and laughed at my stupid humor (which we share in common) and wanted to hold my hand- which I love!

His heart and kidneys are still a major concern, but his body is fighting really hard. He was talking and teasing the techs, ate some dinner (real food for the first time since last Tuesday) and sleeping without struggling to breathe. Plus- he's not fighting the leads, IV's and other things like he was before.

Although he was a little concerned about how he got to the hospital, he knew that he had been there for a while (a week today). I do think though that the concern was because it was close to bedtime and he was getting a little loopy again.

We all thank you so much for praying- we feel it and are beyond grateful...
Specific requests now:
1. That his kidneys would come back to full function so that he will not have to be on dialysis permanently.
2. That he will be approved for Medicaid, he has medical disability without Medicaid - making things incredibly difficult.
3. Finances and things for mom, everyday all day at the hospital is tiring, expensive and painful (my joints hurt from sitting and such- hers are worse.)
4. That he gets the message - he has to change his ways or else he will die.

I am blessed beyond measure!
Megan


Today, Wednesday: March 25, 2009- 2 weeks since he went into the hospital
Hey Everyone,
Your notes of encouragement have meant an awful lot to all of us, and to know that around the world people are praying- it means even more.

There are just a few things to let you all know.

1. They finally did the port for the dialysis yesterday and immediately did dialysis yesterday afternoon. Last night he was talking again, clear with understanding and alert to what was going on with him. I even asked him if the dialysis felt weird and he said no.

2. This morning his hemoglobin dropped another point. If you are like me and this means nothing to you, well copied direct from Wikipedia.com: hemoglobin is the iron-containing oxygen-transport metalloprotein in the red blood cells of vertebrates. . In mammals, the protein makes up about 97% of the red cell’s dry content, and around 35% of the total content (including water). Also, known as a protein in red blood cells that carries oxygen from the lungs to the rest of the body. It's normal to have a count of 14 in your body- dad's dropped to 7 this morning so they are doing a blood transfusion and are hoping that will be enough to bring it back to what it's supposed to be.

3. They now think he has a bleeding ulcer in his stomach. I don't know what they'll do if he really does have one.

4. He is going to end up going through a rehab program for a minimum of 6 weeks. At this point there are only 2 options of where- 1. Metro Health in Wyoming, MI or 2. A nursing home in Holland, MI. At this point- from what we hear the nursing home is NOT a good option. I am praying specifically for him to go to Metro. There is a condition for him - he has to be able to sit in a chair by himself, for an hour. At this point, because of all that he's had going on sitting up in bed has been a feat. Please pray that he will gain the strength needed to complete this task and go to Metro.

I'm laughing a very cynical laugh- and wondering how in the world my dad is still alive. I know that it is only by the grace and love of our Heavenly Father that he is. Any one of the many things he's been diagnosed with are enough to kill a man... and here he is acting as if he's fine. I wonder how different his life will be when he's been healed of all these things?

Please continue to pray for strength, healing, peace and grace for us and those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment